The Yarnspinners

News of anthologies by Kim Cox, Elizabeth Delisi, Chris Grover, Elaine Hopper, Maureen McMahon, and Sheryl Hames Torres--The Yarnspinners!

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Blogging Fears

You might ask, why would anyone fear to write in a blog? My main fear is: what if I don’t have anything to say? Which is the case most of the time for me. I can write fiction forever. Making stuff up is easy for me. But to write about something or someone I know comes very hard.

I remember when I first started writing seriously, and then began to put my stuff out there for publishers, contest, etc to read, a lot of friends and acquaintances would say, “Hey, you can write my story. It would be good because I’ve been through a lot of stuff.” Of course, I didn’t want to say, no one wants to read about you or your life, so I’d just say I write fiction.

Because actually, they’ve been a lot of interesting people who have been through a lot of interesting things that would probably make a good story. And even though I said I write fiction, it’s true. I do. And I have a hard time writing non-fiction such as a blog. I don’t even keep a journal which most writers do.

Also baring the soul is hard for me, even if it’s in a journal that no one will read but me. There are a few exceptions. Like if something is really bothering me, I can write about it. See my last two posts here. Probably about 4 weeks ago was my last. I want to write every week, but most of the time I can’t think of anything to write about or I do write it but never post it because it didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to turn out.

Another reason to fear blogging is what if I say too much about myself. If we’re really honest, we don’t want everyone, especially strangers, knowing too much about us. I know that just in conversation, I’ve regretted telling too much, not only about myself, but maybe about my family or people I work with. The what-ifs pop in my mind about what if they repeat what I said to others. And they probably will.

And the times I do blog is when something is weighing heavily on my mind. What if someone takes what I said and gets angry too, then goes out and does something terrible and it all started because I was ranting about something on a blog. Or what if it depresses them or makes them feel bad. I’m the type of person who will go out of my way not to make someone feel bad.

So anyway, if I don’t blog, most of the time it’s because I can’t think of anything to blog about and if I do and it’s something heavy, don’t take it to heart. It’s just my feelings at that point and time and once I’ve written it, I’ll probably never think about it again. Well, I shouldn’t say never. I will, but it won’t be as bad as it was at that time.

Good day, and happy thoughts to everyone.

Kim Cox
www.kimcox.org
Suspicious Minds Available at Amber Quill Press
Enchanted Holidays Anthology - Haunted Hearts Coming in December from Cerridwen Press
Shivers and Screams, Visions and Dreams- Get Out or Die! - Coming in October from DiskUs Publishing

1 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, October 21, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

To pick out a tiny comment in your post I'd like to comment on -- I too have had at least three people ask me to write their life's story.

I'm not saying their lives would or wouldn't be interesting. The three men who asked me probably had quite interesting lives. But my reasons are that I'm so busy I can't keep up with my PAYING jobs or jobs that probably will eventually pay me, that I can't stop to spend months, probably years on a non-paying project and let everything else slide by the way. And I'm afraid at least one of them would be quite bossy and very demanding (while not paying me or paying me pennies) and that it could damage friendships of the ones I consider friends, if I don't write things exactly the way they envision it or if my writing ends up not being up to par in their minds.

That makes me feel a little mercenary, but I have 4 children and a partially disabled husband at home and my time is extremely precious and guarded. I wish I could afford to give it away, but I honesly cannot.

Then there are those who say "I have a great idea for a story. You write it and we'll split the proceeds." Excuse me?!? I have tons of ideas and I like to think great ideas. Ideas are easy to come by. But the blood and sweat and time comes from the actual writing and crafting. So let me implore those who might think of asking this of a writer friend or acquaintance to rethink. Writing is not just "cute". It's an actual job that takes a lot of blood and sweat and tears. Most writers get paid too little as it is. So please don't ask them to earn even less so they can spare someone's feelings. Now, if you're willing to work side by side equally, then make the proposal, but again, understand that not everyone can or has time to work with a partner.

Sorry. I'll get off my soap box now.

Elaine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home