The Yarnspinners

News of anthologies by Kim Cox, Elizabeth Delisi, Chris Grover, Elaine Hopper, Maureen McMahon, and Sheryl Hames Torres--The Yarnspinners!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Greetings from the Sleep Deprived

Okay, all warring governments have it completely wrong. Sleep deprivation as means to garner essential information is completely illogical. Sleep deprivation is the key ingredient in the CRS disease. For those who aren't familiar with that ailment, the first two words are "Can't Remember..." and I'll leave the final initial to your imagination.

I am definitely a member of the sleep deprived, the utterly exhausted, a card carrying member of the CRS population. In the last week I've averaged about four hours sleep a night...now that doesn't count the days before the New Orleans trip when I was trying to finish edits for Enigma, packing, and keeping family fed, clean, on track...when I got 6 hours sleep in 72. Which is probably the reason I'm so tired now. Usually I get up at 5:30am, go full-tilt until about 12:30-1am, go to bed, get up at 5:30 and get going again...M-F. I catch up on weekends. But this week, I'm falling asleep every time I get still.

Now, I managed five hours last night, awoke feeling like I had everything under control. By ten this morning I'd managed to get the hubby and kids up and off to work and school, picked up the held mail, finished the last of the laundry, taken the dog to the vet, made out the month's budget, paid all the local bills, and got groceries. I thought, "Okay, I'm on a roll...I can do my blog, eat lunch, do my last crit for the week and get to work on my chapter edits."

By 10am...then I remembered. I was supposed to be at a new crit group at 9 this morning...a new crit group we'd been planning to start for two months. Two months!!! Two months, and I lose a little sleep and poof! Right of my mind it goes! Then I was so upset, I completely floundered for an hour, ate a bacon sandwich and fell asleep. On the couch. With the alien cat on my chest...the same alien cat I left with my sister and who now has transformed into the "why aren't you holding me???" cat. Blog? No. Crit group? No. Crit finished? No. Anything else? NO! I didn't wake up until the middle of As the World Turns!!! (it wasn't Mattie, by the way. It was Eve. And Casey survived. Course Gwen and Will are still on iffy ground, but that'll work itself out as soon as someone runs Jade over with a train. ))That was 2:30.

So, here it is, 6pm, and my babies are home, homework is done, Himself is on his way home, crit group apology note written, have transferred Alien WAYHM cat to my daughter's arms, dinner on, and crit open and waiting.

All in all? Pretty much everything is right with the world...and I'm going to be in bed by 11...probably asleep by 11:05!

Hugs till next week when I hope to be more coherent.
Sher who doesn't believe in the word normal.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, September 07, 2006, Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

Sher, I know the feeling. Although I admire you greatly for getting up at 5:30 a.m. I don't think i could do that more than one day in a row if my life depended on it. Dan had four days off in a row this past week and woke me up early each day so we could go off and do fun things. I tried to be cordial...but it's darn hard at that crazy hour. How do you do it, girl?

 
At 3:17 PM, September 19, 2006, Blogger Kim Cox said...

Sher, I'm with you. I slept one to two hours the other night and having been regretting that ever since. I'm an eight hour's sleep a night person that usually does good to get six.

Like you, I catch up on the weekends, or I should say Sundays now that I have to work Saturdays at least 1/2 day.

Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home