The Yarnspinners

News of anthologies by Kim Cox, Elizabeth Delisi, Chris Grover, Elaine Hopper, Maureen McMahon, and Sheryl Hames Torres--The Yarnspinners!

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Contracts and Contests

I have been absolutely snowed under lately with work, most of it NOT writing. Had to send back some contracts today, and you wouldn't believe how complicated those things are and how many pages they entail. I'm glad I'm not a lawyer and I just write fiction! At least I can understand what *I* write.

Also, I've been judging in a contest and had FIFTY books to read over the course of two months. Yup, full-length books. That's about a book a day, which is way more than I can read under normal circumstances, at least if I plan to get anything else done during the day.

There were more than the average number of great books, which made it more difficult and slower. I stayed up until 3 a.m. last night to finish them off, and mailed back the two winners today, to go on to the next round of the contest. Whew! One thing to check off my list.

So now I'm just down to about five editing jobs, four classes I'm teaching, the usual PR work, and oh yeah, finishing up the dang novella. ;-) That's next on my list!

So what do YOU do when you have too much work to do? Do a little of each task? Tackle one at a time? Do you make lists and cross things off, or work plans, or wing it? Or just close the door, lock it, and go on vacation?

Liz

6 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Christiane France - Author said...

Well, Liz, I guess you could run around screaming "I'm so busy I'm going to have an aneurism," but if you get yourself worked up like that, you probably will.

So, being one of those people who find it difficult if not impossible to say "no" and often find myself peering over a mountain of "to dos" wondering how in heck I'm going to make it through, this is when I take out pen and paper and start making a list. First, I do all the tiny, five-minutes things and the list is usually halved, then tackle I the biggies in order of priority. It's not the answer to infinity, but it sure helps when you've boxed yourself into a corner and don't know which way to turn.

Chris

 
At 6:42 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

Chris, you sound like my husband. He's really a list kinda guy. ;-) As for me, up until recent years I've been an "Oh sure, I'll remember it" girl. But my memory is slipping! So now sometimes I use a list, and more often I set up a reminder on my Alarm++ program, which pops up on the computer and reminds me. Now if only I had a secretary...

Liz

 
At 7:06 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Maureen McMahon said...

Yes, like Chris, I try to make a list. Just making a list helps put things in perspective. I usually find that some of the things I've thought were imperative to get done, aren't...can wait. If something super urgent, I'll do it first, the others I rank in order of urgency and do them as I can. I figure: "What will happen if these don't get done right away?" In most cases it's not the end of the world.

 
At 1:15 AM, August 20, 2006, Blogger Kim Cox said...

Sounds like you need some rest, Liz! Where do you find the time? I may be taking on two more clients in my web mistress job.

 
At 10:10 AM, August 20, 2006, Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

Maureen, the problem is some of the things that have to get done are the things I don't get paid for, like housework. ;-) If only I had a maid!

And Kim, I have no idea where I find the time. It helps that Dan works late six days a week, and while he's at work, I work too. (sigh) Looking forward to retirement someday!

Liz

 
At 12:06 AM, August 21, 2006, Blogger Kim Cox said...

You know, I thought I would be able to get more work done after Lee went back to work. But he doesn't leave until late and I have to help him get out the door, so I get behind on some of the things I do in the evenings which make it about time for me to go to bed by the time I finish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home